OG Kush is a popular cannabis strain in Australia, known for its potency, distinct aroma, and hybrid characteristics.
Believed to have originated in California, OG Kush has become a staple in the world of cannabis, winning numerous awards and gaining a loyal following among cannabis enthusiasts.
Its complex flavour profile features hints of earthy pine, citrus, and spice, while its high THC content can provide intense relaxation, euphoria, and creativity. Despite its popularity, the exact genetics of OG Kush remain a mystery, adding to its allure and mystique.
Let’s explore more about OG Kush:
|Earthy, pine, woody
|Relaxation, euphoria, happy, uplifting, sleepy
|Both (can be grown indoors or outdoors)
1. Where to buy
Cannabis remains illegal for recreational use in most parts of Australia, but some states have legalized medical cannabis. If you have a medical prescription, you can purchase OG Kush from authorized dispensaries. However, it is important to note that the availability and legality of OG Kush can vary depending on the state or territory.
2. OG Kush Seeds
OG Kush seeds are not legal to be purchased online, nor can they be shipped to Australia from overseas retailers.
3. How to Grow OG Kush
OG Kush can be grown indoors or outdoors, and it requires a warm, dry climate with moderate to high humidity. It is a relatively easy strain to grow, but it requires careful attention to detail and proper nutrients to produce high-quality buds.
Follow the below steps to grow your seeds.
- Choose the Right Seeds: Start by selecting high-quality OG Kush seeds from a reputable seed bank or supplier. Look for feminized seeds, as these will produce only female plants. This is important because male plants produce pollen that can ruin a crop, while female plants are the ones that produce the buds used for consumption.
- Prepare Your Growing Space: OG Kush plants can be grown indoors or outdoors, but they require specific growing conditions to thrive. If growing indoors, you’ll need to set up a grow room with high-quality grow lights, proper ventilation, and temperature and humidity control. If growing outdoors, make sure the plants receive plenty of sunlight and are protected from strong winds.
- Germinate Your Seeds: Once you have your seeds and growing space ready, it’s time to germinate your seeds. You can do this by placing the seeds in a damp paper towel or directly in soil. Keep the seeds warm and moist, and within a few days, they should begin to sprout.
- Plant Your Seeds: Once your seeds have sprouted, it’s time to plant them in soil or another growing medium. Make sure the plants have plenty of room to grow and are getting enough light and water.
- Provide Proper Nutrition: OG Kush plants require specific nutrients at each stage of growth. You can find specific cannabis fertilizers and nutrients at your local grow store. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully, as overfeeding or underfeeding can damage your plants.
- Monitor Your Plants: Keep a close eye on your plants and monitor them for any signs of pests, disease, or nutrient deficiencies. Address any issues as soon as possible to prevent them from spreading or causing serious damage to your crop.
- Harvest Your Buds: After 8-9 weeks of flowering, your OG Kush plants should be ready for harvest. Wait until the buds are fully mature and have developed a sticky resin coating. This resin contains the THC and other cannabinoids that provide the plant’s effects.
4. OG Kush Origins
The exact origins of OG Kush are uncertain, and there are several theories about how this popular cannabis strain came to be. However, the most widely accepted theory is that OG Kush is a hybrid of Chemdawg, Lemon Thai, and Pakistani Kush.
According to this theory, a breeder in Florida crossed a strain of Chemdawg with Lemon Thai and then crossed the resulting hybrid with Pakistani Kush. This hybrid was then brought to California, where it gained popularity and became known as “Ocean Grown Kush,” or simply “OG Kush.”
Over time, OG Kush became one of the most popular cannabis strains in the United States, known for its potent effects and complex flavor profile. Today, OG Kush and its many variants are enjoyed by cannabis enthusiasts around the world.
- Appearance: OG Kush plants are usually short and bushy with dense, sticky buds. The leaves are typically dark green with orange or reddish hairs, and the buds are covered in a layer of sticky trichomes.
- Aroma and Flavor: OG Kush has a distinct aroma and flavor that is often described as earthy, piney, and woody, with hints of citrus and spice. The smoke is thick and pungent, and the aftertaste can be sweet or sour.
- Effects: OG Kush is known for its potent effects, which can be both cerebral and physical. The high is usually described as euphoric and relaxing, with a sense of happiness and well-being. It can also be sedative and may cause couch-lock or sleepiness.
- THC Content: OG Kush is a high-THC strain, with THC levels ranging from 19% to 27% on average.
- Medical Benefits: OG Kush is often used for medical purposes, particularly to treat anxiety, depression, pain, and insomnia. It may also be effective in reducing inflammation and improving appetite.
7. Comparison with Other Strains
OG Kush is often compared to other popular strains, such as Sour Diesel and Girl Scout Cookies. Sour Diesel is known for its energizing and uplifting effects, while Girl Scout Cookies is known for its euphoric and creative effects. OG Kush is often preferred by users looking for a strong indica-dominant strain with a relaxing and sedative effect.
OG Kush vs. Sour Diesel: Sour Diesel is another popular strain known for its energizing effects and pungent aroma. Compared to OG Kush, Sour Diesel is typically more uplifting and cerebral, with a more citrusy, diesel-like aroma.
OG Kush vs. Blue Dream: Blue Dream is a sativa-dominant hybrid that is known for its balanced effects and fruity, sweet aroma. Compared to OG Kush, Blue Dream is usually less sedative and more uplifting, with a more balanced high that can be both relaxing and energizing.
OG Kush vs. Girl Scout Cookies: Girl Scout Cookies is a hybrid strain known for its sweet, earthy aroma and potent effects. Compared to OG Kush, Girl Scout Cookies is usually more uplifting and cerebral, with a more intense euphoric high and a slightly sweeter taste.
OG Kush vs. Northern Lights: Northern Lights is an indica strain known for its relaxing effects and earthy, piney aroma. Compared to OG Kush, Northern Lights is usually more sedative and less cerebral, with a stronger body high and a more earthy, musky aroma.
8. Legal Status in Australia
In Australia, cannabis is illegal for recreational use at the federal level, but laws surrounding medical cannabis vary by state and territory. Currently, there is no legal way to purchase or consume OG Kush or any other cannabis strain for recreational purposes in Australia.
However, medical cannabis is legal in some parts of Australia with a valid prescription from a doctor. The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) regulates medical cannabis in Australia and has approved certain cannabis-based products for medical use in certain circumstances.
To access medical cannabis in Australia, patients must have a qualifying medical condition and obtain a prescription from an authorized medical practitioner. The prescription must then be filled by a licensed pharmacist who has been approved to dispense medical cannabis products.
It’s important to note that even with a prescription, not all cannabis strains, including OG Kush, may be available for medical use in Australia. Additionally, the laws surrounding medical cannabis in Australia are subject to change, so it’s important to stay informed on the latest developments and regulations.
OG Kush is a highly sought-after cannabis strain that has gained widespread popularity for its unique and potent effects, complex flavor profile, and medicinal properties. While its exact origins are uncertain, it’s clear that OG Kush has become a staple in the cannabis community and has been enjoyed by enthusiasts around the world.
With its high THC content and potent effects, OG Kush may not be suitable for everyone, particularly novice cannabis users or those with low THC tolerance. However, for those who can handle its strong effects, OG Kush can provide a powerful and memorable experience that is sure to leave an impression.
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing night in or a powerful medicinal treatment for a variety of conditions, OG Kush is a strain that should be on your radar. With its unique aroma, complex flavour, and powerful effects, OG Kush is a classic strain that is sure to stand the test of time.